Friday, January 16, 2009

I did something unusual this week.

I bought make-up. Well, I routinely wear foundation and powder (I love the Bare Escentuals mineral make-up line, by the way) and sometimes I throw on some lip gloss, too. But earlier this week I went out and actually bought mascara, lipstick (yes, real lipstick, not just tinted lip gloss), lip liner and eye shadow. Now, I'm positive that I haven't bought mascara since we lived in Toledo, so it has been about 7 years. The 1/2 dozen times I've worn mascara since then have been from the little sample tubes I got for "free" with my Clinique face soap. As for lipstick and lip liner? Heavens -- I probably bought those last in Toledo, too, though there is a possibility that I bought lipstick in Columbus. And I'll fess up to one eye shadow purchase in Columbus (which I still have by the way -- does anyone follow the tossing guidelines for make-up?).

All this is to say...I'm tired of looking like a stay at home mom all the time. Don't get me wrong -- I really do like being home. I just don't think my outside reflects my inside. I feel energetic, edgy, and powerful (I am woman, hear me roar!) on the inside. And on the outside I look like a pile of middle aged tiredness covered in toddler snot and baby spit and topped off with a pile of limp "hasn't seen hair product in months and has been styled by my 3 year old" hair. What a lovely picture I paint...

So, this is, hopefully, a step in the right direction towards feeling happy and confident about my appearance again. And hopefully all this stuff I bought is snot and spit proof...

4 comments:

  1. So post a picture when you get it all on!!


    Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! Maybe...I'm not too handy with my tripod, unfortunately!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh...I about had coffee come out of my nose!

    My hair is frequently styled by Ella...i'm so pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! I have taken to spackling on the makeup lately after seeing how old and tired I look in pictures. Like you, I don't feel that way on the inside (well, I mostly don't feel that way) but the outside of me ain't lookin' too pretty!

    ReplyDelete