When you cook a turkey (or most other large pieces of meat), the meat is supposed to be removed from the oven and allowed to rest before cutting. During this resting time, the temperature of the meat actually continues to rise. Tonight when I was running, I experienced this phenomenon. It was still at least 85 degrees when I went out for my run tonight. Now, I generally DO NOT like running in the heat. In fact about 60 degrees is my favorite running temp (and I still wear my tank top and shorts out even at that temperature). Tonight, however, it really didn't bother me until I was a good 1/2 hour into my run. The last 10 minutes were killer, though, as I was just dying of thirst. When I got back, I downed a good three glasses of water (while standing in front of the fan) and then sat down at my computer with another glass of water to log my run. Now, I was sweaty when I got back. However, as I sat at the computer I turned into (what felt like) a soaker hose. I just absolutely started dripping and felt like I was on fire. It was crazy and I actually laughed out loud when I thought about the whole turkey concept...apparently the concept applies to runners, too.
On a side note , I'm really having to back-off on my weights. I've been having problems with my knees locking up on me occasionally when I run. I think it is a combination of two things -- inadequate stretching (both before workouts and in general) and fatigue from weights. So, I'm really backing off on my leg lifting, which wasn't a big deal tonight because I lifted after running and was exhausted anyway. The few sets of lunges and squats I did without weights were plenty of work after 45 minutes of running. I do think I need to work yoga back into my routine, but I've yet to find a video I really like. I used to go on post, but the instructor I liked left and the instructor they have now just isn't to my liking (I actually like her for cardio classes, I just don't like her yoga classes) and, well, I just dn't really have time to go anyway. So, anyone with any yoga videos that they love, feel free to leave a comment!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment