Monday, October 10, 2011

More stripes!

I'm just way behind on updating this. It took me the better part of three weeks to complete this project, but I have our guest bath painted. While I was at it, I painted the pantry because it needed it. And I do mean that it NEEDED to be painted. The shelves were unprimed and unpainted MDF, which can be destroyed easily with just a little bit of water. I've been worried that a bottle would spill and we'd end up needing to rip out the shelves (which are very thoroughly nailed in). I also painted a small hallway area off the master bedroom. I did this to test out the color we choose for the great room. I didn't want to find out after we started the great room that we didn't really like the color (and I LOVE it, by the way).

I don't love the fixtures in the guest bath. I usually like very clean simple (though not necessarily contemporary) designs. The fixtures and hardware in the bathroom are just the opposite. Most of it I left alone, but we did splurge for new sconces. The old ones had vines wrapped around the glass globes and I absolutely detested them. At first I thought I would try to reuse them (because, after all, we reserve that bathroom for guests so we really don't look at them very often). However, after I took them down, I just couldn't bring myself to put them back up.

Here is the before (from the realtor's pictures, as I forgot to get a good shot before demolition):


And the after:




The stripes were a total pain in the you know what. The painting wasn't bad, but the taping off is time consuming (especially since I am totally OCD and spent an excessive amount of time making sure they were perfect). The dark stripes, by the way, are the same color as the kids bath and the light stripes are a light gray from the same color family.




I really like these colors -- they are much more "me" than the peachy beige that was here when we moved in. I can't wait to get the great room finished, which I started working on two days ago. It is going to take FOREVER because of the vaulted ceilings. I'm still working on patching and sanding off rough spots. Maybe by the end of the week I'll have all the prep work done and will actually be able to paint! My goal is to have the room painted by Thanksgiving (so that it is in good order when our holiday company arrives, but also so that I can put my Christmas decorations up).

No comments:

Post a Comment