Thursday, January 3, 2013

The last project...

Posting about the laundry room project reminded me that I hadn't posted about the last project we completed (and by we, I mean mostly me)...our bedroom.

Here are a few before shots:


(Note the uglier than sin brownish/yellow shades on the light.)


Beyond the fact that the walls were really nicked and dinged up (or just badly painted in the first place), I just HATED the color in our room.  It was just so yellow and dingy looking.  And, well, I'm not a yellow/dingy/warm color person.  I like light and bright spaces.

Here are a few after pictures:




I LOVE how it turned out (though there are still a few stray items to take care of).  The blue walls help our furniture not look quite so golden/yellow (I would have loved to replace them with something new -- and king sized -- but I could hardly justify it, as they are perfectly functional).  Notice that the light shades are no longer yellow, thanks to a good long soak in vinegar followed by a lot of elbow grease.  The ceiling is painted two shades lighter than the walls, which I am really quite pleased with. I think the colored ceiling helps the crown molding really pop out.  One of my favorite changes is the new curtains!  I feel like they really pull the room together.

Now, I would LOVE to replace that dingy old armchair in the corner that Jeremy staunchly refuses to part with.  It is wretched, so I will not take a close up of it.  Those were one of those "live and learn" purchases.  We should have spent twice as much and got the matching leather arm chairs for our sofa (which still looks remarkably good after 10 years of heavy use and abuse).  Someday there will be a nice chocolate brown leather armchair in that space, so please just try to envision that when you look at the pictures.

Oh, and the picture over the bed is my own artwork inspired by a Pinterest find.  I will have to take a closeup shot and give details on that project later.  I am quite happy with it, though I wish I had gone up another size or two on the canvas.

No comments:

Post a Comment