Jeremy was scheduled for some training in Washington, D.C. this week. Originally, he was going to go by himself. However, Monday night he came home and requested that I (and Lucy, too) go along. So, at 7:00 we decided I was going and I was up until midnight doing laundry and packing. We left bright and early on Tuesday (thanks to Lucy getting up at 5 AM). The trip turned out pretty well, with a few minor hiccups. We stayed at the Willard, which was amazing. This was the view from our window:
Nice, isn't it? If we had been up a few more floors, it would have been perfect. It was wonderful being so close to everything. I toured the Holocaust museum on Wednesday with Lucy (who slept through the entire thing). It is one of the few museums surrounding the mall that I haven't seen and I've really wanted to. It isn't recommended for children, so we just haven't been able to go in before. It was really nice, though not a very uplifting experience. It left me quite sick to my stomach, though I would highly recommend seeing it if you are ever in DC. I didn't go through everything thoroughly (it just got too darn depressing after a while), either, so I would like to go back again sometime.
On Thursday, Lucy and I rode out to the Eastern Market in the morning. It is a really neat area, however we got out there too early and a lot of stuff was closed. Lucy was nice enough to have a big poopy blowout while we were out there. I had her in the sling, which meant I ended up with it all over me, too. So, I headed back to the hotel, which took 30 minutes. Lucy screamed for 95% of the trip back. I stayed in the hotel and let her nap there, as I didn't have the patience after our poop experience to go back out by myself.
By far, though, my favorite thing about DC is the food. There are so many neat places to eat! Plus, there is a little dive of a pizza restaurant in Bethesda that has THE BEST cannolli. Mmmmm...I'm hungry again just thinking about it. And, if you ever go to DC, you have to try the chili cheese fries at Ben's Chili Bowl. Yum!
I did have one condition to going on the trip: we had to return in time to take the boys trick-or-treating tonight. The costumes turned out pretty good, I think anyway! Not too shabby for duct tape and a couple inexpensive sweatsuits. And Lucy made the sweetest puppy (maybe a rabid puppy -- check out the last picture!). We took the boys around the block and only hit about 1/3 of the houses, but that was plenty for them. I think they both enjoyed passing out candy when we got back just as much, if not more, than they enjoyed getting candy themselves. After trick-or-treating was over, the boys ate popcorn and watched "The Great Pumpkin", which is becoming a bit of a family tradition here.



No comments:
Post a Comment