Friday, May 7, 2010

Neuschwanstein & Bavaria

Ah....this is taking me forever to get through the pictures!

This was, by far, my favorite day of the trip. We spent the night in Garmisch (which was a lovely little town -- a winter resort, really).

Our first stop of the day was Neuschwanstein, which is the castle that Disney based theirs off of and it was also used in the movie Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Here is a shot of the outside:

I'm not sure if this was purely decorative or if this was a downspout, but I thought it was cool:

Just another part of the castle:

And here are several shots from the castle grounds of the surrounding area, which was dotted with rolling hills, little towns, lakes and the Alps!






This is the neighboring castle, which we didn't have time to hike to and it remains on my "to do" list for the next trip:


This was an observation bridge that was built behind the castle. It was a great spot to get pictures of the castle, so we hiked to it.

But then I wouldn't go more than a few feet onto it, because I don't like bridges, so I only got pictures of what was below the bridge. I was amazed at how clear the water was here!!!



We saw these signs repeatedly in Germany and referred to them as the "frog crossing signs". They totally amused us. I'm assuming the sign means something about slippery roads, but I guess they could just really love their frogs there. I wish I would have taken more time to photograph the things that we saw like this better -- the ordinary stuff that is just SO different than what we have here in the US!

No comments:

Post a Comment