Yesterday we spent the day working hard on projects around the house and are one room closer to being ready to sell this place. We did Lucy's room yesterday and it was just a little bittersweet.
The room needed painting -- badly. The wall above the changing table was gross. Not that I don't wash it off on a regular basis, but after the kids have ran their hands and feet all over that wall for 4+ years, it just looks a bit nasty. And the room was covered in toy marks. I'm sure any parent out there knows exactly what I'm talking about. Seriously, can't the toy companies come up with a way of coating toys so that they don't leave a trail of colorful paint marks on the walls when the kids bump them (or, as is often the case at our house, chuck the toys at the wall really darn hard)?
As a part of all this, we upgraded Lucy to a big bed. Actually, she is borrowing Hannah's furniture until after we move and Hannah's room is being turned into a temporary toy room. The plan is to move before Hannah arrives here for the summer break (and, if that doesn't happen, we'll just have to worry about it later). So, I have an empty changing table in my bedroom and an empty armoire in my living room. We're going to sell them, but are waiting for a replacement on our recalled crib (ironic that they just recalled it and we no longer need it and our kids survived just fine). We were supposed to be able to use the set for big kids -- you know, the changing table becomes a dresser and the crib pieces become a big bed. Yeah, that really didn't work out so well (so take this as a warning any expecting parents out their). The drawers in the furniture are baby sized. They are really quite useless for anything larger than toddler clothes. I'm not sure why this didn't occur to me when we were shopping...I guess I'll chalk it up to pregnancy brain.
I'm just a little sad to see the baby furniture go. We've had it almost exactly 6 years. And while I'm totally done having babies and ready to move beyond our baby days, I'm also a little sad to see them go. We have almost completely de-babied our house. The crib is gone. The bouncer is long gone...as well as the bottles, rattles, itty sleepers and boppies. All we have left at this point are a few strollers, a sling (my favorite that Lucy can still fit in and I can't bear to part with) and car seats (though, with the new car seat laws, car seats hardly count as a "baby" item anymore).
I really don't want anymore kids, but every once in a while I wish I could have my babies back again -- just for a bit, though definitely not at night time, meal time or diaper changing time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment