Over the last several years I have totally fallen in love with several sellers on Etsy for dresses & skirts for Lucy. I've been really happy with everything that I have purchased, but last spring decided that I wanted to take a stab at making them myself. The items I've purchased are totally worth every penny, but I can make the same things for 1/2 to 1/3 of what I buy them for and I can make EXACTLY what I want without limitations in fabric choices.
These were my first two items that I made last spring:
I've spent the last month or so scouring online fabric sellers for just the right fabrics to put together a back to school wardrobe for Lucy. I'm pretty sure I will have spent more time fabric shopping and planning than on actual sewing. though at least most of that time was done on my iPad while Jeremy rubbed my feet and NCIS was playing. I had a really hard time pairing down my list, but started off with fabric for three outfits -- I may be putting another fabric order in yet, though!
This is the first (and simplest outfit):
The appliqued t-shirt was a last minute addition and I'm really glad I tried it. The stitching around the outside of the applique didn't turn out very well (I've never sewn on knits before and didn't realize it would be such a pain in the #*!). The skirt was very simple and I think that if I make anymore items for this fall, they will be this kind of skirt -- they don't take much fabric and they are really easy!
This is the second outfit:
Hopefully you will have caught on that this dress is supposed to look like a piece of candy corn. And, in actuality, it ended up a bit shorter than I had intended, so I think I will have to call it a top and pair it with some leggings. I wish I had used a matching bias tape on the bodice, instead of the contrasting yellow, and the sash could be a touch longer. I also was reminded with this project about how much I detest gathering fabric!
The third outfit is still spread out all over my basement. I really need to finish it, though, because the basement needs cleaned badly and the project is in the way. Maybe I can finish it tomorrow!
And just because she is cute, a picture from this morning of my little girly-girl!







No comments:
Post a Comment