Monday, January 12, 2009

Thoughts on being green.

As most of you know, I've cloth diapered since Reid was born. As I was doing laundry this week, I had to laugh at my stash. here is a sample of some of my inserts:


Pretty pathetic, aren't they? The funny thing is that I threw the worst of my inserts out a few months ago, though these are getting close to being sent to the trash. I get a warm fuzzy feeling, though, every time I fold my diapers, because I know I'm doing something good for the environment. Do you know how many times those inserts have been used? I'd guess close to 500. Wow -- imagine how many disposable diapers I saved from going into landfills! And, yes, I know I used water and energy to wash my diapers -- which is why we have a high efficiency washer and I line dry whenever possible (which was almost 100% of the time when Reid was little, not so much now that I have an unmanageable amount of laundry to deal with on top of diapers).


So, I pose this question to you (and to myself) -- what (more) can you do to make your home more environmentally friendly? I can think of one big one for me, which involves a bit of a confession -- switch Ross back to cloth diapers (at least part time). Lucy is in cloth full time, but Ross has been in sposies for a month or so now -- not because I don't want him in cloth, but because I'm having trouble finding cloth diapers that fit him properly. I hate the idea of dropping a large chunk of cash on any more diapers, only to find out that they don't fit him properly.

I'm a firm believer that even little changes can have a big impact. So, I challenge you to find something (buy reusable shopping bags, switch to energy efficient light bulbs, buy cloth napkins instead of paper...anything!) to make your life a little more green!

5 comments:

  1. reminds me...must throw my diapers in the dryer! :)
    Marcie

    oh, and those inserts have seen better days...wowzers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure what diapers you use but here is a great deal on BumGenius 3.0...

    http://www.cottonbabies.com/index.php?cPath=51

    Marcie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Marcie, I didn't know you cloth diapered! How cool!

    Haven't tried the BG yet. I have a full stash of fuzzi bunz in size large that haven't fit either Reid or Ross yet (though they wore FB almost full size in size small and medium). You know what that cost me (at about $17 a diaper). Might have to force myself to pruchase a few BG to try, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only have the bum genius. I don't cloth full time b/c daycare doesn't do it and we didn't start until she was older. We looked at the options when pregnant but were too overwhelmed with everything that was out there...after all the hormones settled down and I met someone else that does cloth i was able to see her stash and decided that the BG was the way to go for us. :) The BG are usually around $18 but I bought 12 so they were slightly less...still way cheaper than disposables over the long run...those are getting crazy expensive!!!! eek! :)
    Marcie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep thinking I need to find a suitable replacement for the overnight pullups. In my head though, I keep hoping that I will just be done with them and it won't matter!

    Anyway, I have become the electricity geek around here. I continually shut things off and unplug stuff. Its the small things, right?

    ReplyDelete