So, Reid is participating in soccer this spring. I keep meaning to post pictures, but haven't had time to sort through the 200 or so I took at the first game.
Anyway, one of the team parents is responsible for bringing a snack each week. The first week, the coach brought the snack, which were gigantic chocolate chip cookies. These were so big that the boys split Reid's and neither of them really was very hungry for lunch when we got home because of it. Okay, that was not my idea of a snack, but we'll survive one weekend of that. So, this last weekend I was asked to bring a drink and another mom would bring the snack. I went out and bought 100% apple juice boxes for all the kids. The other mom gets there and informs me that she put drinks in with the snack (fine, whatever, though I would appreciate clearer requests from the coach). She was nice enough to bring enough snacks for the siblings to have one, too. This is what was in the boys snack bag:
1. Hi-C "juice" box -- 10% juice and 2nd ingredient (behind water) is high fructose corn syrup, so not really any better than soda
2. Bag of chips -- Reid got Lays and Ross got Fritos
3. Bag of cookies -- Reid got chocolate chip with M&Ms and Ross got graham crackers (the least offensive item in the two bags)
4. Blow Pop
5. Several other random pieces of candy per bag
Okay, so am I the only person who would NOT let their kids eat that much junk in one sitting? I mean, I might let the kids have one of those items PER DAY (if even). I find the entire thing ridiculous! These are SNACKS for a group of 3 and 4 year olds! I really don't think my views on food are that extreme -- we have sweets and treats in our house, too. But, those are only ever given after a solid meal has been eaten -- you know, a meal including fruits and/or veggies, whole grains and lean proteins. No wonder there is an obesity epidemic among the children in this country!
And, on a side note, the inclusion of a sucker with gum in the middle is totally irritating. Yes, thank you, we get the stickiness in two forms for the price of one piece of candy. And really, making each bag unique just creates issues -- "but he got a red one, I want a red one, too, I don't want blue" (slap a whiny preschool voice on there while you're at it).
I'm sure everyone will be thrilled the week I bring raisins, granola bars and bottles of water.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Michelle -
ReplyDeleteAs a former soccer coach, I am appald at those treats for the kids - especially in that quantity. If the team has a manager, I would talk to him/her about setting up better guidlines for the kids. Good luck! ~Jeannine
Michelle -
ReplyDeleteAs a former soccer coach, I would be appalld at those snacks! Especially for kids who aren't even 5 yet. I would talk to the coach or manager about setting up some guidlines for snacks after games. In MN, it's traditional to only provide oranges at half time, and juice boxes or pop (for older teens) AFTER the the game. Good luck!
~Jeannine
crazy snacks!!! I would be annoyed too!
ReplyDeleteMichelle,
ReplyDeleteWe brought snacks for volleyball - but it was the same thing as you are saying only healthy snacs allowed even for high school aged.