For a while now I've been contemplating what to do about furniture for Lucy & Hannah's room. I knew I wanted twin beds whether they shared a room or not, because I liked the idea of having a few spare beds in the house for when company stays. With the boys, we got basic metal beds and sturdy, but not top of the line, wood furniture. The boys have done a pretty good job dinging up the wooden stuff, so I'm loath to spend that much on furniture again (even though we really didn't spend much in the big scheme of things). After scouring design blogs for ideas, I decided to look for used solid wood beds that could be painted. I wanted something sturdy that could be spruced up with a little elbow grease.
Last weekend I found some on Craigslist and we picked them up. They looked awful!!! However, after 5 days of intensive work, they are looking much better. I sanded them, primed them (twice) and have one coat of paint on them. I went with a black paint, because we'll be doing a "board and batten" treatment on the bottom half of the walls, which means the backdrop to the beds will be white. I wanted something neutral, but something that would stand out. My inspiration for the room is very much driven by this blog post:
http://emilyaclark.blogspot.com/2011/03/paneled-headboard-project.html
The girls room will have sloped ceilings with short walls on two sides. So, I have decided to paint the ceiling (and top portion of the walls) PINK. Lucy will love it! Hannah probably won't love it so much, but the girl already has a room completely to herself at her dad's house, so I'm thinking this is pretty fair (and she's ackowledged that herself).
I had intended to show pictures of the beds, but my crappy little camera (the point and shoot I picked up for our Disney trip) isn't cooperating...the pictures are REFUSING to be removed from the darn thing. So, the pictures will have to wait until later!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment